The Florida Keys Dolphin Championship
Friday May 24th Captains Meeting 6:30 pm
Saturday May 25th first fishing day
Sunday, May 26th final fishing day
This is a Boat/Team event. You can have as many anglers as you want on your Team.
This is an OPEN EVENT: Professional Anglers, Guides, Captains, and Mates are eligible to participate as Anglers. Each Team participating must pay an entry fee and each Angler must be registered with the tournament.
The early entree or Founders entree fee is $450 per Team before April 1, 2013.
Regular entree fee is $600 per Team. The final deadline for entry by any means is before 8:00 a.m. Saturday, May 25th, 2013 EDT before lines in.
All Team members must fish from the same boat.
Entry fees are non-refundable.
Tournament Registration and Weigh-in Locations
Are in Key Largo, Islamaroda, Marathon, Lower Keys and Key West.
-Registration will begin at 5:00 pm-7:00 pm May 24th, 2013
-Captains Meeting 6:30 pm on May 24th, 2013
Tournament fishing hours begin:
-May 25th Lines in the Water at 8:00 am. Weigh-in
3:30 pm-5:00 pm
-May 26th Lines in the Water at 8:00 am. Weigh-in 3:30-5:00 pm
-Tournament Prizes will be awarded after the close of the weigh-in on Sunday May 26th, 2013.
-Tournament Awards Ceremony will be held Sunday May 26th, 2013 at 6:30 pm.
1st place $15,000
2nd place $ 5,000
3rd place $4,000
4th place $2,500
5th place $1,500
The tournament committee wishes to award as many prizes to as many Teams as possible. Therefore, Teams may hold only one place at a time in a single category. However, one fish may place in various divisions. Example: One dolphin may win the largest fish in the tournament as well as, top female, top junior and daily largest dolphin in Optional Entries. But at no time will one Team place first and second in any category
Optional Entries *
Largest Dolphin Overall- Entry $150-
Payout 1st 50%
Largest Dolphin Daily- Entry $250-
Payout 1st 50% per day
2nd 30% per day
3rd 20% per day
Largest Bull and Cow combined Daily Weight- Entry $600
Payout 1st 50% per day
2nd 30% per day
3rd 20% per day
*All optional entries payout's are 95% payout of the totals.
5% to Charity
· Optional Entries are Per Boat.
1. Eligible specie for the tournament is Dolphin only.
2. Weigh-In and fishing day end: Dolphin, intended to be scored, MUST be weighed the day they where caught and shall be considered eligible only if they are located within the weigh-in line and recognized by a Tournament Official before the weigh-in closes for that day. There is no lines out, however each fishing day is over at the closing of the weigh-in each day. No waivers of this rule will be granted because of hardship or other eventualities.
3. ONLY the first 200 boats to register in the open division are eligible for the SeaHunter Bay Boat prize of the largest Dolphin weighing over 55 pounds. Only four Anglers from each of the first 200 boats are eligible for the SeaHunter Bay Boat prize. If the largest Dolphin over 55 pounds is caught on a SeaHunter Boat purchased from an authorized Dealer in the past 72 months prior to the Tournament you will win an additional $50,000.
*Only anglers 18 years of age and older are eligible for the SeaHunter Bay Boat Prize.
4. Angler substitutions are allowed. All anglers must be registered prior to lines in each day.
5. Tournament Officials may verify proper registration at anytime by requesting presentation of a Tournament ID and/or other identification.
6. A representative from each Boat/Team must attend the mandatory Captains meeting at 6:30 pm on May 24th, 2013 at one of the five locations listed in the scale locations of these rules.
7. All fish weighed for entrance into the Florida Keys Dolphin Championship must have been caught by a registered Angler, using legal methods as defined in the tournament rules during legal hours of Tournament fishing.
8. ELIGIBLE WATER: Teams must fish in the waters off the Florida Keys. Teams are prohibited from fishing within twelve miles of the Bahamas and Cuba. Any Team violating this rule will be disqualified for that day.
9. Unless otherwise stated, IGFA rules will apply throughout the Tournament with line class up to and including 80 lb. test line.
10. The Captain or Crew may only touch the leader during the landing of the fish. Anyone on the boat may gaff the fish.
11. Fish must be hooked and landed on a single rod and reel.
12. Electrically driven reels (e.g. "Electra mates") are not permitted.
13. Expressly prohibited fishing methods for purposes of this Tournament include: mounted winch devices ("one-armed bandits"), motor-driven long-lines, spearing, gigging, netting, shooting (including use of bang-sticks), or any method of catch in violations of State or Federal laws. Evidence of prohibited methods will disqualify the catch and all entrants fishing aboard the vessel on which such rule violations were committed.
14. This is an OPEN EVENT: Professional Anglers, Guides, Captains, and Mates are eligible to participate as Anglers.
Anglers 15 years of age registered on or before their fifteenth Birthday are eligible for the Top Junior Angler prize. There will be only one top Junior Angler prize per district or weigh in spot.
15. No one except the Angler may touch the rod, reel, line and the double line (if used) after the fish has been engaged. “Engaged” is defined as the time at which drag is engaged (engage the drag lever or close the bail). No one except the Angler may touch the rod, reel, line and the double line while the fish is being fought.
16. Crew members are permitted to cast baits. Once an Angler is fighting a fish, the Angler must fight it to conclusion (loss, landing or release) before fighting another fish. If there is a multiple hookup, the Angler may proceed to the next fish once the first fish has been fought to conclusion. No one else may touch the rod other than the Angler who engages the fish.
17. A mutilated fish is not eligible. The Rules Committee will make this ruling. All rulings made by the Rules Committee are final.
The Tournament reserves the right to refuse Tournament entry from prospective entrant or entrants, with or without cause at its sole discretion. Entrants and or applicants proposing to fish on boats that have been barred from other fishing Tournaments can expect to have their entry rejected. Any applicant refused entry shall be entitled to a refund of all entry fees.
SAFETY AND CONDUCT
1. Participants are expected to follow all applicable laws and rules for safe boating, including those regarding USCG equipment requirements.
2. Participants are expected to follow all applicable laws pertaining to the taking of marine fish.
3. Participants are expected to follow high standards of sportsmanship and courtesy. Any participant who exhibits threatening behavior or who otherwise engage in disorderly, illegal or improper conduct of any kind is subject to immediate disqualification from the Tournament.
4. Willful violations of marine laws or other violations of safe and proper conduct may lead to disqualification.
5. Fishing must be performed in accordance with principles of good sportsmanship, and in compliance with these and IGFA rules as published in the IGFA World Record Game Fish book under “International Angling Rules.” Florida Keys Dolphin Championship rules will be strictly adhered to, and all decisions of the Tournament Rules Committee will be final. Any Angler(s), Captain(s), or Mate(s) found to be in any violation of any Tournament rule may result in that Team being disqualified from this Tournament.
6. There will be no weather days.
1. Scoring by weight: All scoring in the tournament is based on the weight of single fish (except the Bull and Cow Daily) entered by registered anglers.
2. One fish may hold a single place in multiple categories.
3. Subsequent Entries: Individual anglers or teams may improve their standing in a given category with subsequent entry of larger fish at any time during Tournament fishing hours before the close of the Tournament.
Official Registration and Weigh-in sites: District One In Key Largo Buzzards Roost and Garden Cove Marina Mile Marker (MM) 106.5,
District Two in Plantation Key, Plantation Key Boat Mart MM 90, District Three in Marathon, Tarpon Creek Marina MM 53.5,
District Four in the Lower Keys Boondocks Grille and Draft House MM 27, and
District Five in Key West, Donta's Restaurant and bar and Conch Harbor Marina.
2. Weigh-In Cut off: Fish, intended to be scored, shall be considered eligible only if they are located within the weigh-in line and recognized by a Tournament Official. No waivers of this rule will be granted because of hardship or other eventualities.
3. Freshness: Fish brought to weigh-in must be in a fresh, edible condition and must not have been frozen.
4. Tampering: Fish must be intact with no evidence of spearing, bang-sticks, weight tampering, or other rules violations. It is the responsibility of the Angler to ensure that all foreign objects are removed from the fish. Such objects shall include, but are not limited to: hooks, leaders, ice, and weights. Hooks or bait that has passed through the mouth and into the gullet may be left in place. Any fish found to be in violation of this rule is subject to disqualification and/or gut check.
5. Gut check: All fish weighed by the Tournament may be subject to a gut check after weighing at the discretion of Tournament Officials.
6. In The event of an exact tie in weight, winners will be determined by the time the fish was weighed in.
7. At the time of registration you must pick, which district you will be fishing out of. You will be eligible for that individual districts prize's only. Example Top Captain, Mate, Lady Angler and Junior Angler as well as the Top Three Largest Dolphin for that district. Everyone is eligible for the Top five overall trophies, Optional Entries and the SeaHunter Boat Bonus Prize.
1. Redemption of Prizes: All prizes must be claimed by the winning Boat/Team, at the time and place the prize is scheduled to be awarded. In cases of special hardship only, the tournament board may permit prizes to be claimed by a representative of the winner.
2. Prizes not claimed in accordance with these rules remain property of the tournament.
RULINGS AND RULES COMPLIANCE:
1. Rule Violations, the eligibility of entrants or entered fish, disqualifications, and any other matters not specifically covered by these rules will be decided by the Rules Committee. The Rules Committee may disqualify any person who commits any violation of Tournament rules. The Rules Committee may disqualify entrants from this Tournament and from future Tournaments and events.
2. Decisions of the Rules Committee are final and binding on all entrants.
3. Polygraph: All winning teams will be subject to and must pass polygraph testing. Refusal to take polygraph test will result in disqualification. Any person aboard the boat may be subject to and must pass the polygraph test. Refusal to take the test could result in disqualification. Polygraph tests will include but will not be limited to questions on angling and landing procedures and species of fish. Polygraph tests are final and winners are not official until test results are obtained. Individuals who are judged by the polygraph examiner to be impaired by drugs or alcohol will be disqualified.
4. All protests must be in writing and submitted to a Tournament Director on the day of the alleged violation no later than 30 minutes after the weigh scales close with a deposit of $200.00. If the alleged violation is found to have occurred, the deposit of $200.00 will be refunded. If the Rules Committee finds no violation, the deposit will not be refunded. The decision of the Rules Committee will be final.
1. All entrants participate in the Tournament at their own risk.
2. Hold Harmless: It is expressly understood that all registered participants and non-registered occupants of their boats, enter into the Florida Keys Dolphin Championship voluntarily and at their own risk. Further, each registered and non-registered participant on behalf of other family members and/or executors agrees to release and hold harmless Florida Keys Dolphin Championship (FKDC), and their Officials, Directors, Owners, Members, Representatives, Agents, Employees, Independent Contractors, Volunteers, Promoters, Advertisers, Sponsors, Partners, Joint Ventures, Affiliates, Assigns, Polygraph Examiner, the City and County where the event is held and all other persons connected directly or indirectly with the operation of the FKDC (collectively, “Released and Indemnified Parties”) from any and all claims, losses, damages, demands, causes of action, suits and liabilities of every kind arising out of, related to, or resulting from any FKDC Tournament, activity or event, including but not limited to the FKDC, including without limitation, any claim for loss, damage or destruction of property, or injury (including death), regardless of whether such loss arises in whole or in part from the negligence of any Released and Indemnified Party. This release is intended to be as broad and inclusive as possible under applicable law, and if any portion of this release is held invalid or unenforceable, the balance shall continue in full force and legal effect.
Rules are subject to change. Official rules distributed at registration.
The Key West Fishing Tournament (KWFT) is a eight-month-long competition that runs from March through November and is open to the general public. Visiting and resident anglers are encouraged to enter their catches, at no charge, at a tournament weigh station during the eight-month event. All entries receive a certificate noting their catch, and qualify for prizes.
The 48th Year of the KWFT is about to get underway! Many thanks to all of our Kick-Off sponsors for making the Kick-Off event and awards dinner possible.
In 2012, we added a *New* “Bonus Species” species to the Kick-Off which was a great success! So much so…it’s back for 2013! The “Roll Tide” Sport Fishing Team has jumped in to once again sponsor the Bonus Species division and will make sure that the minimum payout starts at $300.00! More details to come.
All entries entered into the kickoff are also eligible for the General Tournament year as long as they meet the required rules for the General Tournament. Men, women, juniors and “Pee Wees” compete to catch more than 30 species of fish. The junior division is for anglers age 10 to 14, and the Pee Wees are under 10 years old. Tackle classifications range from 8-pound test through unlimited, and spin, plug and fly.
Our goal is to promote sport fishing participation in the Key West by encouraging the release of game fish. We respect and preserve our marine environment and encourage all our visitors to do the same. As a change to the past rules, the KWFT will no longer accept weights for Sharks. Sharks are now (2012 and beyond) a Release Only species.
We are partially funded by the Monroe County Tourist Development Council, Dream Catcher Charters, Double Tree by Hilton Grand Key Resort, The Key West Charter Boat Association, Shell Oil, Key West Southernmost Hotel Collection, Marriott Key West Beachside Hotel and Signs Unlimited… along with many small businesses throughout Florida and the United States. If you or your company would like additional information about being involved or participating please checkout our sponsorship opportunities section of the web page.
Bookmark this page on your Web browser. You never know, YOUR name could be here as a Tournament Winner!!!! Tight Lines!! We’ll be reelin’ to hear from you!!